Hello there, friends! Today we have a vegan, refined sugar free carrot cake with yummy frosting that is sure to knock your socks off! Carrot cake has always been the dessert of choice for my dad (especially on his birthday), and I was missing him, so it was time to make some carrot cake in his honor! And since he is the reason we began on this plant based journey, of course it needed to be healthy and made from natural ingredients. I think this recipe hits the nail on the head! If this was actually for his birthday then we would top the cake with some beautiful hazelnuts.
I also had two giant bags of carrots sitting in my fridge from our CSA, and didn’t know what to do with them. I mean, carrots are tasty, but there are only so many carrots a girl can eat. Am I right? So they sat there, lonely in the bottom drawer. I do think they’re pretty cute though, with a bit of their greenery still attached! We only needed two carrots for this recipe, which made about two cups of shredded carrot.
You can either grate the carrots with a cheese grater or put them through grater in the food processor. Honestly, I felt like my carrot chunks were a bit large, so I have to recommend using a cheese grater if you have one. This is how the beauty looks before baking! I have these awesome silicone cake pans that make the cake baking, cooling, and cleaning process infinitely easier. The cake pops right out which is wonderful after you’ve spent so much time making the cake!
See, I told ya! Cake top (or I guess bottom…?) looks great after 25 minutes of baking.
Then comes the fun part–the icing! This is my all time favorite icing recipe. It is creamy and delicious and ridiculously easy to throw together in the blender.
And finally, ta-da!! Your beautiful vegan carrot cake ready to enjoy 🙂
- 2 c whole wheat flour
- 1 Tb baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, ginger, cloves, nutmeg
- 1/4 c chopped walnuts
- 1/4 c raisins (optional)
- 2 flax eggs (2 Tb ground flax mixed with 6 Tb water)
- 1 c maple syrup
- 1/2 c apple sauce
- 2 c shredded carrot
- 1/2 ts vanilla
- 2/3 c coconut milk
- 1 c macadamia or hazelnuts
- 1/3 c pitted dates, soaked in water at least 10 minutes to soften
- 3 Tb maple syrup
- 1 ts vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix the ground flax seeds with water to make the flax eggs. Let it sit for at least 5 minutes to form a gel.
- In a small bowl, mix the maple syrup, apple sauce, carrot, and vanilla. Add in the flax eggs.
- Pour the liquids into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into a 9 inch cake pan.
- Bake at 375 F until a knife comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- Allow cake to cool completely before removing from the cake pan and frosting.
- Place all ingredients in blender and blend on high until smooth.
- Frost the cake and enjoy!