Butternut squash + quinoa salad?! Yes! Today we have roasted butternut squash, pecan crumble, and quinoa coming together to make a beautiful and bright salad. I’ve been eating this all week for lunch and it is awesome as the flavors meld together.
It’s been snowing like crazy in DC. We didn’t have a chance to go grocery shopping before the storm on Monday/Tuesday, so we are cooking up all our dried foods we have stored, including a giant bucket of quinoa that’s been sitting in our pantry. Luckily I had a few butternut squash and sweet potatoes stored too (those guys seriously last forever) so we can have some fresh veggies with our dried grains.
Anyways, on to making this delish dish. Even though the squash cook takes 40 minutes to cook, you can prepare it ahead of time and then have an easy time making this recipe later on. I like to roast the squash while I’m getting ready in the morning, and then at night I just need to cook the quinoa and make the pecan crumble and you have a great dinner ready to go!
- 1 small-medium sized butternut squash
- 1 1/2 c quinoa
- 1/2 c pecans
- 1/4 c nutritional yeast
- 3 Tb extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 ts red pepper flakes
- 1/2 ts salt
- 1-2 ts sage
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Slice the butternut squash in half, lengthwise and scoop out the seeds from the squash and throw them away.
- Cut the squash into 1 inch cubes.
- Toss the squash cubes with 1-2 Tb of olive oil.
- Roast the squash for 40 minutes, or until you can easily 'fork' them.
- Cook the quinoa.
- Add the pecans, remaining olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, and salt to the food processor. Pulse the mixture until you have a crumb-like mixture.
- Finely chop the sage.
- Once the quinoa and squash are done cooking, mix them together in a large bowl with the nut mixture and sage.
- Serve hot or cold 🙂
Let me know how you like this recipe! I looove butternut squash but GC is never too excited about it. Happy to say that this recipe has his stamp of approval though 🙂